Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Cream of Chestnut Soup

Anthony loves chestnuts. So when I found a recipe for chestnut soup I knew it would be a marriage faux pas not to attempt it.

I changed things around just a bit and I'm not too good at writing measurements but here's the simple recipe that has had my husband giving me lovingly glances ever since dinner ended:

Ingredients:
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
• about 1/4 cup marsala wine
• about 3 cups vegetable broth ( I eyeballed this so you may need a bit more)
• 1 bag steamed chestnuts (It either says steamed or cooked. Either way they come in a little bag)
• thyme
• 1/3 cup half and half

• melt the butter in a pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until the onion is tender.


  • Add marsala, vegetable broth, chestnuts (I chopped them to make life easier before adding them to the pot) and thyme. Stir together and simmer about half an hour. (I think the recipe originally said 20 but the baby had to eat so simmering ended up taking 30 minutes)


  • Process soup in a blender (I did it in batches using a magic bullet). Return the soup to heat and add the half and half.


  • Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook over low heat until cooked thoroughly or your ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment